Monday, June 30, 2014

Trail Ride to Life Lesson


Finally, today is the day.  I am supposed to go on my first trail ride to see if I am going to become the owner of a horse.  He is a Tennessee Walker.   

I had been wishing for this day, and dreading this day, since the possibility of becoming a horse owner became a reality.  I went to meet Silver Dollar and he did not pay too much attention to me.  He was busy eating his feed then eating the dry grass in the pasture.   

He seemed gentle enough and big.  He is beautiful.  He is black, but the summer sun had bleached many parts of his coat reddish.  He is a five year old gelding.   

I will admit to having a range of emotions since I learned of his existence; especially, since learning that we could become a part of each other’s lives.  I wondered if I was up to the responsibility of owning a horse?   

The person who owns him now said that he could board on his farm. He said that he would teach me all about horses and their care.  I love that, but am I up to the rigors of learning and doing what Silver Dollar needs?  Because, this endeavor is about the horse as well as about me.   

I also worried about my ability to saddle him.  How much strength does that take?  More than I have?  What if I fell off him while riding and became wheelchair bound because of the decision to buy a horse?  Am I being stupid?  Fear and anxiety gripped me.  Then, I would remember my dreams about wanting a horse and I would remind myself of “exceptional equestrian” programs and how good horseback riding is for persons with disabilities.   

I have disabilities.  I am old.  I have arthritis.  I am continuing to recover from a traumatic brain injury (TBI).  I have post-traumatic stress (PTSD) and no matter what I have tried it does not seem to improve.  These things cause some of my anxieties and terror about this new venture or maybe it is an adventure.   

The ride was amazing.  Silver Dollar was everything that his owner told me that he was.  He was gentle.  He rides smoothly.  He led, followed and rode side by side with the other horse and rider.  The weather was across the board.  At times it was cool, hot and we also had rain. I got to go on a beautiful trail much further than I could ever have hoped to walk.   Silver Dollar was patient with me and he followed my commands.  So … what’s the problem?   

It takes a lot of strength to do everything necessary to saddle and mount a horse.  I know that my muscles would strengthen over time, but is it all too much for me at this stage of my life?  Could I lift the saddle on and off?  Could I ever hope to get the girth tight enough on my own?  How about loading and unloading him onto the trailer, but most importantly, do I have the time and energy it takes to provide Silver Dollar with everything he needs all of the time to be a happy horse?   

I know that I love this horse.   I know that I want this horse.  I have a tough decision to make.  I think I know the answer to my dilemma, but that requires me facing my limitations.  Do I have the personal honesty and self-control for that?  I know that I must say no to myself thereby ending a dream that I had long held.  I can not buy the horse.   

But, as sad as I am about having to make this decision, I feel really good about the process.  I took the leap of entertaining the possibility of turning a dream into a reality.  I faced all of my fears about actually meeting the animal, preparing him for the ride and accepting the help that I needed to accomplish the trail ride.  I loved going on the trail ride.  I faced all my fears and ended up making a rational decision that is the best for both the horse and for me.   

I called the owner and told him of my decision and he so very graciously accepted it and he even volunteered to take me trail riding.  Now, that is what I call real class from a country gentleman.   

So, the moral I would draw from this story and what I would like to leave you with is this:  Try.  Face you fears.  Examine your opportunities.  Entertain possibilities.  Then, make your decision based on what you know in your heart of hearts is the right decision for you and for the other party whether it is a horse, a person, a family or perhaps something else.   

Maybe you will have the luck to have your story end up like mine.  Maybe your answer will come in a different form than what you thought, but maybe you will still end up with a livable and workable piece of your dream while remembering that in this life we all must remain flexible.   

©Patty F. Cooper, Elizabethton, Tennessee. June 30th, 2014
All Rights Reserved    

      

No comments:

Post a Comment