Friday, July 11, 2014

Savannah Charleston: A Post Civil War Historical Novel

As promised, here is the first chapter of my first novel.  I will not be sharing the rest of the novel on this blog.  I am continuing to edit it as I look for an agent and a publisher.  I hope that you enjoy the beginning and that you will want to read the rest of the book.  

1867
Chapter I

            Savannah heard arguing out in the store.  She sat on the edge of her chair and cocked her head.  The sounds stopped so she returned to the account books that she kept for her father.  Suddenly, she heard a loud crash and she ran toward the sound.  As she entered the store she saw the new tool display strewn across the floor.  She also saw a fearsome man dressed all in black.  He had a terrible scowl on his face.  She noticed that Jacob, her father’s main shopkeeper, had turned ashen as he attempted to be heard by the man, “Sir, I will check on your carriage.  You are right it was due in today.”
            The man cursed loudly then Savannah spoke softly, “Sir, may I be of assistance?”
            The stranger stopped as he surveyed her up and down momentarily forgetting his anger as the thought of bedding this beautiful vision crossed his mind.  “Damn if I need help from this stupid shopkeepers whelp!” he hissed.  “Get out before I turn you over my knee or worse.”
            Savannah inhaled deeply suppressing her own anger.  She paused very calculatedly as she smiled sweetly and thought how much she hated carpetbaggers.  She then replied very softly, “Sir, this is my father’s employee Jacob a very capable man, but if you would like someone else to serve you perhaps I can help.  I am Savannah Charleston Morris daughter of General Beauford Morris owner of this store and the nearby plantation Golden Light.  However, if you would prefer assistance from the owner himself you are free to ride out to see my father.  He is in the north field checking on the cotton.”
            “My apologies Miss Morris,” the stranger replied as he bowed in a deeply exaggerated manner.  “Reginald R. Ryan at your service.   My apologies for the coarse language.  I think I will ride out to meet your father and share my wishes with him.  I will see you again.”  At that he turned and brusquely left the store.
            The hair stood up on the back of Savannah’s neck and she shivered.
            “Oh, Miss Savannah your father is going to be so angry,” Jacob moaned as he began righting the tool display.  “Do you think he will can me?  I need this job so bad.”
            “Now, now Jacob you know how much my father relies on you and needs you.  I am sure that everything will be just fine.  What a terribly disgusting man.  Papa will handle him!  I’ll tell papa what happened so you try not to worry.  But I am afraid I will not be able to put my head back on figures this morning, so I will see you after dinner.”
            Savannah left through the front door and rounded the side of the large new frame building.  The store had to be rebuilt after the war as the old one was burned by the Yankees when they came through Charleston Bend.  She untied and mounted her horse, Tessa, and galloped faster than usual toward home.  She was trying to run the unpleasantness of the encounter out of her mind.
            Savannah rode to the back of the plantation near the kitchen door and as she dismounted Andrew the youngest and only surviving son of Jacob ran toward her.  “Can I brush down Tessa and feed and water her Miss Savannah?” he asked. 
            “May I,” Savannah reminded him, “and yes you may.  Thank you Andrew.  Then wash up for dinner.  April probably has it about ready.”  Savannah liked that since the war dinner was served informally in the kitchen where the slaves used to take their meals.  Now, with just family and a few paid staff things were very different. With so many dead all the survivors kind of clung together and made up a whole new family doing things like eating together without regard to former stations.  Not all people did this but she was glad that her family did.  She was also conscious that Golden Light had only survived because the Yankees had used it as a field hospital and for general quarters. 
            “Oh no, Miss Savannah won’t be no eatin’ in the kitchen this day.  You got big company and April is fit to be tied!  I’ll be eatin’ in the kitchen, but not you!  Real big doin’s an’ goin’s ons roun’ here today,” Andrew informed Savannah.
            Savannah was so startled that she didn’t think to correct Andrew’s grammar.  Instead, she hurried into the kitchen.
            “Savannah, thank goodness you came in early today.  Your mama wants to see you upstairs right away,” April informed her as she was scurrying around the kitchen.  “Quick, go now.”
            Savannah ran to the back stairs yelling as she ran up them, “Mama what’s wrong?”
            “Girl,” her mama said, “must you act like a wild uncouth roughneck?  Remember yourself.  You are a southern lady.”
            “Oh, Mama, those days are long gone,” Savannah replied.
            “They are not for you,” her mother sternly replied.
            “Mama, what is going on?  What is the matter?”
            Rhonda Morris didn’t answer but lowered her head.  Then, being a true southern lady, she quickly composed herself and replied, “Savannah honey, go to your room.  Myrtle is in there and she will help you bathe and dress for dinner.”
            “What?  Help me bathe and dress for dinner?  Mama you act like it is 1860.  No one helps me bathe and dress for dinner.  We don’t bathe and dress for dinner anymore.  Sometimes we dress for supper, but now we all have to work!  There was a terrible disruption at the store this morning and I am way behind in my work.  I want to get a quick bite then go back to the store.”
            “Savannah, please do as you are told and as quickly as possible.  We are having important company for dinner.”  Rhonda momentarily suppressed a sob, “Your father has an important announcement to make.”  A large tear rolled down her cheek.
            “Mama, what’s wrong?  You are scaring me.”
            “Honey, just please go do as I ask.  I have to get ready too.”
            Savannah went to her room and was surprised to see every female on the place there fixing her a full bath and fussing about every detail of all of her best clothes.  Wordlessly they all assisted her and she complied.

©Patty F. Cooper, Elizabethton, Tennessee  July 11th, 22014
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment