Friday, September 19, 2014

Anguished Faces Etched in My Mind


Anguished faces appear on the news at night.  They are the faces of persons whose lives have been disrupted by death, natural disasters or war.  People who have suffered terrible losses that they will never get over.  Those are the faces etched in my mind.   

I feel helpless in their wake.  I pray for them and I want our government to help them, because as an individual I feel unable to do so.  What can I do other than pray?  I can see them, I can listen to them and I can remember their stories.  I can love them even if from afar.   

Perhaps, my prayers do help and my love and my sorrow.  I will never know, because those things are like words flung as seeds out to places the sayer of those words sow some to grow and some to lie fallow.   

Nearly always when they show the drawn faces of the adults if there is a little child near the person who is sometimes patting them or soothing them even with just looks the child is squatting and playing if only with a stick or a stone.  The child is smiling.  The hungry thirsty child is still smiling providing a glimpse of humanity for all of us to see.   
 
Maybe it is the sight of those children playing in the dirt amongst the rubble that causes us to hope that someday there will be a better place and life for those folks etched in my, and hopefully our, brains and our minds.  How can we not want to help those sisters and brothers shown to us not just for the children, but for all of them as individuals and as a collective?   

If it were not for brave individuals who go to those places to bring us those images then my mind would rove to more pleasant things, because that is how I am.  But they go and show what is out there shaking us from our comfortable places and replacing trivia with harsh reality of natural destruction or horrors caused by man-made evil.  Sometimes they die, because they were there to show all of us those horrors.   

We really can do little if anything about natural disasters, but those folks doing evil could just stop.  Even if they are doing what they think their god wants them to do—if they stop for a moment to think then they can hear the wee small voice in their mind and in their hearts.  They know that what they are doing is wrong.   

We know this, because many people who have been a part of committing atrocities have later admitted that they were not fully on-board with what they were doing. They were just following orders afraid of being killed themselves if they did not comply with the evils they were being told to commit.  Not all felt this way, but some.   

Maybe all war falls into this category even for those who fought on the winning side.  I know that the faces that tormented my father as he tried to sleep were with him until the day he died.  I can only hope that after he, and others, die the individuals have a chance to meet to look at each other seeing the others sad faces and hearts.  I hope that they get to hug, talk and mend their hearts and souls.   

I can dream.  I just wish that it was in life rather than after death--if even then--that we could see each other, care about each other, and want to bring smiles and joy rather than death, destruction and despair to our neighbors twirling with us on this small planet.  I wish that we could look, love, listen, feel and do; instead of the way we actually do.   

©Patty F. Cooper, Elizabethton, Tennessee September 19th, 2014   
All Rights Reserved  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment