Monday, July 14, 2014

I Want to Find Peace: An Essay


The world is in terrible turmoil today.  There are wars and rumors of wars in many places across the globe.  I want to find peace, but how can I do that when I can’t even find peace in my own life, within my own home or with my own family?   

It is easy to want peace, but hard to have peace when we as humans are not peaceful.  I am ashamed, because I do not do more to promote peace beginning with myself.  How have we gotten to the place where if a person or a people do not do exactly what whomever declares themselves the big boss says do, then the big boss or their designee just kills the offending parties?   

Frequently, this is done, and has been done, since the beginning of time in the name of the big bosses’ god.  It does not seem as if we as humans have learned anything since the world began even though Jesus told us what to do using very few words:  Love God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself.   

I find the loving God part easy.  It is the loving of my neighbor that I find difficult, but if I don’t love my neighbor am I really loving God?  I think not.  We’d better learn to love our neighbor as well as our God, because if I want to find peace then it had better begin with me.  It is the personal responsibility of each of us, because every one of us is a stepping stone on the road to peace.   

©Patty F. Cooper, Elizabethton, Tennessee, July 14th, 2014   
All Rights Reserved       

1 comment:

  1. I did not know there was war in your home.

    ReplyDelete