Monday, July 28, 2014

They Said It Wouldn't Last: An Essay


Hopefully, every single one of you have special days in your lives.  I know I do and because of what my husband has taught me over the past twenty-five years they are not just the ordinary holidays.   

I always liked my birthday, but it was not a particularly special day within my family.  Not so since I met Ed.  He calls my birthday the most special day of the year because, he says, it is the anniversary of my birth.  He always makes it a wonderful day for us to share every year, and I try to make his birthday special, too.      

A friend recently wrote that she isn’t going to celebrate special days and holidays anymore.  That made me feel sad.  I know that certain religions do not celebrate holidays.  I am unsure why.  Jesus celebrated.  I think that we should, too.   

This week my husband and I are celebrating a very special occasion.  We are celebrating our twenty-fifth anniversary.  Not our governmental anniversary, but the day we designate and celebrate as our anniversary.  I am glad that we celebrate and make holidays the days that are sacred to us.   

A twenty-fifth anniversary is a special anniversary for any couple, or to commemorate anything that has lasted that long, but this one is especially sweet for us and I’ll tell you why.  They said it wouldn’t last!  Who are they?  Everybody.  To a person when they commented they just knew that our union was not going to survive.   

Ed and I, however, knew something they didn’t know.  We knew that we had been looking for each other our whole lives and once we found each other we were not going to let go, and we haven’t!   

We have nearly lost each other through sickness and accidents, but not of our own accord and I hope it stays that way.  We are so blessed to have found each other.  We have shared many special days and holidays--not the least among them has been every day.   

Yes, they said that it wouldn’t last.  Oh, maybe they were right.  I bet that they meant last for fifty years!  They might be right about that, because we probably won’t live that long.  But, for each new day we are blessed to share, I know we will live contentedly, satisfied and happy until we are forced to part.   

My hope for each of you is that you find your special person.  A person for you to love and cherish and one who feels the same way about you.  A person with whom you share your regular days and your very own special days.   

Happy 25th Anniversary to us!   

©Patty F. Cooper, Elizabethton, Tennessee July 28th, 2014

All Rights reserved

2 comments:

  1. It has been a great 25 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been truly a wonderful 25 years. Thank you for sharing your life with me!

    ReplyDelete