Monday, July 21, 2014

Reading Leads to Freedom: An Essay


When I was in the fourth grade and was being shown around my new school the person conducting the tour took me to an amazing place.  It was a place I did not know existed.  She took me into a nondescript single room and simply stated, “This is the library.”   

My eyes must have bulged.  I had never seen so many books.  Shelves were lined from stem to stern with books.  I remember turning to her and saying, “Whose books are these?”   
 
She replied, “Ours.”   

“Ours,” I said.  “What does that mean?”   

She explained that any student could go to the library and “check-out books.”  She had to explain to me that meant that any student could go and borrow a book or books and bring them back in a week and borrowing the books was free.   

My love of libraries began.  I already loved books, but I had little access to them.  Now, I had full access to every book in the place and I dug in.  A student could check out two books at a time.  I made a habit of reading as many books as I could.  I later learned about public libraries where one could get a library card for free and borrow any book in existence that was either there or through inter-library loan.   
   
Because my parents paid little attention to what I did and because at that time there were many liberal teachers and liberal librarians, there was a wide range of authors on the shelves.  I began reading beyond my years authors such as Faulkner, Steinbeck and Pearl Buck to name a few.   
 
In my immediate family, there were many things too taboo to say out loud or ask questions about.  Not so with books, I learned about many things through both fiction and non-fiction.  I kept reading.  By the time I was in high school I tried to read a book a night.  I gained a wonderful vocabulary and did extremely well on all word type testing because of my extensive reading.   
 
I traveled across the world and time and place through books and I grew to know many people, male and female, young and old and of nearly every nationality.  I read what the characters were thinking and how they thought.   

Some characters were nice people, some were evil and most of them had a mixture of good and bad.   Books, the authors who wrote them, and the characters they created molded me.   

Books changed me from a shy child from the foothills of North Caroling growing up in south Florida to a child then later a woman of the world; although, I had not literally traveled the world.  I grew and knew beyond my years because of books.   

I worry now because I don’t think enough children, young people and even adults learn the joy of reading and the value of what can be found on the written pages of books.  Many people have never been to a library.  They do not know that the doors to everywhere can be found there by stepping through the library door.  Libraries now have many forms of media—not just books and most of it is still free.   

Make no mistake, I am not saying that I could talk the kids of my time or other people into reading.  Most of the time folks said, “I hate to read.”  I neither understood that then nor do I understand it now because reading leads to freedom.   

It is becoming less common for people to hold actual books in their hands.  Many words are on tablets and phones and on computers—just as these words are.  That is okay because words can travel quickly across the world to people who may not otherwise be able to get them and I think that is good.   

But, I also want people to be able to hold a book in their hands.  Hundreds of years from now I want people to be able to pick up some of the same books that I read, and be able to find the exact words written down that I read and thought about.  Because written words can cross generations and boundaries and borders.   
  
What if the words of the great thinkers had not been written down?  What if an emerging writer writes profound thoughts that are not put into print?  Will those ideas and those characters be lost to us once the present technology changes if they are not put into print?  I fear so.  What is to stop that from happening?   

©Patty F. Cooper, Elizabethton, Tennessee July 21, 2014
All Rights Reserved

        

No comments:

Post a Comment